Nabhasa Yogas in Vedic Astrology
Nabhasa means ‘celestial’. These are special yogas which are very important in analyzing the charts. Nabhasa yogas occur based on the elements and modalities of the signs. Certain planetary combinations in different signs will indicate life pattern and inherent character of the person. The results depend upon the pattern in which the planets are situated in the celestial heavens. Nabhasa yogas does not depend on the house ownership of planets.
Four major categories of Nabhasa Yogas are: Ashraya, Dala, Aakriti and Sankhya yogas.
Ashraya (refuge) Yogas: There are 3 variants of Ashraya Yogas – Rajju, Musala and Nala yoga. It depends upon which mode of the sign the planets take refuge i.e. Chara (movable), sthira (fixed) or Dwiswabhava (dual) rasis.
1. Rajju Yoga – When most of the planets occupy chara rasi or movable signs, Rajju yoga is formed. Chara rasis are Mesha (Aries), Kataka (Cancer), Tula (Libra) and Makara (Capricorn). The person with Rajju Yoga is very active, fond of travel, ambitious, will earn his wealth outside of his birthplace, loves to travel foreign countries. he will be cruel and mischievous, will have fickle mind.
He is the kind of person who cannot stick to one goal. He will keep on change his goal posts. Because of this nature, he will suffer in education, career. If lagna and Moon also in chara rasi, then he will suffer more. On a positive side he will adapt to the situation very quickly, can take quick decisions.
2. Musala Yoga – When most of the planets occupy sthira rasi or fixed signs, it will create Musala yoga. Fixed signs are Vrishabha (Taurus), Simha (Leo), Vrishchika (Scorpio) and Kumbha (Aquarius). The person with Musala yoga are of stable nature, endowed with honour, wealth and wisdom, liked by everyone, will have stable career and income.
He is kind of a person who does few things but will be an expert in that field. Normally these people doesn’t like to change. They like to stay in one place, one career etc. They like to acquire fixed properties like land. They are not quick in decision making but once they decide it will be fixed.
3. Nala Yoga – When all the planets occupy dwiswabhava rasi or dual signs, Nala yoga is formed. Dual signs are Mithuna (Gemini), Kanya (Virgo), Dhanus (Sagittarius) and Meena (Pisces). The person with Nala yoga is very clever, of fluctuating wealth, very skillful, charming, help others, learner of many subjects, will be intellectual and spiritual.
These yogas are dependent on the placement of planets in kendra houses. There are two variants.
1. Maala Yoga – When all the benefics occupy the kendra houses, Maala yoga is formed. Malefics should not be placed in these houses. The person with Maala yoga is blessed, endowed with wealth and conveyances, will be respected by all, will be fond of good food and clothes, like to associate with beautiful women.
2. Sarpa Yoga – When all the malefic planets occupy the kendra houses without benefic association. Sarpa yoga is formed. One born in Sarpa yoga is cruel, wicked, poor, miserable, depend on others for basic living.
Aakriti yogas are formed based on the certain geometric patterns. These are divided into two main groups:
The Angular group and the Arc group.
The angular group is again subdivided into into 3 subgroups. They are; Kendra disposition, Non kendra disposition and trikona disposition.
A. Kendra (Angular) disposition – There are 6 yogas under this subgroup.
1. Gada Yoga – When all the planets occupy two adjacent kendra houses, Gada yoga is formed. It is further divided into four types. When planets occupy 1st and 4th house, it is called as Gada yoga. When planets occupy 4th and 7th houses, it is known as Shankha yoga. When they occupy 7th and 10th houses, it is called as Vibhuka yoga. When all the planets occupy 10th and lagna it is Dhwaja yoga.
One born with above yogas will be wealthy, well versed in scriptures, interested in mantra, tantra and music, one will be prosperous, envious of others and ever engaged in earning money.
2. Shakata Yoga – This yoga is produced when majority of the planets occupy in the 1st and 7th house. When all the planets sitting opposite, they aspect each other thereby they create conflict. The person with Shakata yoga will suffer penury, will suffer with diseases, will have lean body, will earn through hard labour, will have wicked life partner.
3. Pakshi or Vibhaga Yoga – When majority of the planets occupy 4th and 10th houses, Pakshi yoga is formed. One born with this yoga is a wanderer, always like to travel like a bird, quarrelsome, servile, ambassador, will have frequent career changes, can be good mediators.
4. Vajra Yoga – When benefic planets occupy 1st and 7th houses and malefic planets in 4th and 10th houses, Vajra yoga is produced. The native is good in looks, charming, wicked, brave, happy during early and old age.
5. Yava Yoga – This is opposite of Vajra yoga. Here malefic planets will occupy 1st and 7th houses and benefic planets in 4th and 10th houses. One with Yava yoga will be consistent in thoughts and actions, will perform auspicious deeds, wealthy, charitable, happy in the middle portion of life.
6. Kamala Yoga – In Kamala yoga, all the planets will occupy the Kendra houses. The native with Kamala yoga will be beautiful like a lotus, he will be renowned, virtuous, perform auspicious deeds, famous, live like a king.
B. Non Kendra Disposition
7. Vaapi Yoga ( well or reservoir of water) – Majority of planets placed in houses other than kendra houses. There are two variants in this yoga. Majority of planets placed in Panaphara house or in Apoklima houses. The native with Vaapi yoga is skilled in amassing wealth, will enjoy lasting riches and happiness, cunning, mischievous.
C. Trikona Disposition – There are two variants in this sub group.
8. Shringataka Yoga (mountain) – When majority of the planets placed in the trikona houses or trines, Shringataka yoga is formed. Trikona houses are 1st, 5th and 9th houses. These house are very auspicious houses and they are referred to as ‘Lakshmi sthanas’ or abode of Goddess Lakshmi. When planets located here especially benefics will provide lot of wealth, comforts, happiness. The native will be wealthy, courageous, wise, very intelligent, always try to follow dharma, do lots of charity, a warrior, fond of combat, will have beautiful wife.
9. Hala Yoga (the plough) – There are three variants in this yoga. They are differentiated by placement of planets in three different trinal group. They are:
- Planets posited in 2nd, 6th and 10th houses – they denote Artha trikona or material pursuits
- Planets posited in 3rd, 7th and 11th houses – denote Kama trikona or sensual pleasures
- Planets posited in 4th, 8th and 12th houses.- denote Moksha trikona or liberation
When planets located in any particular group, the features of that group will dominate the person. So when Artha trikona is dominated in a chart, then the person will be more interested in accumulating wealth. When in Kaama trikona, he will be more interested in sensual pleasures and in Moksha trikona, he will be inclined towards spirituality and liberation. Other general results mentioned in scriptures are that the person will be blessed with friends and relatives, fond of eating, be a poor and miserable, live with agriculture income.
The Arc Group Yogas
There are 11 yogas falling under this group.
1. Yupa Yoga (a pole to tie the animal while performing a yagna) – When all the planets situated between 1st to 4th house, Yupa yoga is formed. In this yoga, 1st house of self, 2nd house of wealth, 3rd with courage and 4th house of home comforts are dominated. The person with Yupa yoga will be contended, very introvert, learned, charitable, endowed with happiness, follow religious duties, blessed with homely comforts.
2. Shara Yoga (an arrow) – Majority of the planets will be placed between 4 and 7th houses. In Shara yoga, dominant features are 4th house of home comforts, 5th house of intelligence, 6th house of theft, enemies, crime and 7th house of sensual pleasures. The person with this yoga is adventurous, cruel, manufacture arms and ammunition, he may use arms in his profession like army or police officer, a hunter, jailor etc. fond of animal food, like to roam in jungles. If benefics are placed in 6th house or 6th lord is in good position, then negative effects of the yoga is reduced.
3. Sakti Yoga ( javelin) – Here all the planets occupy between the 7th and 10th houses. Here dominant features are sensual pleasures (7th houses), failures, longevity (8th house), fortune (9th house) and work (10th house). Houses 7 to 10 are located in visible half of zodiac. The person with Shakti yoga is poor, subjected to grief, combative, argumentative.
4. Danda Yoga (rod) – When majority of planets will be placed in the houses from 10th to the lagna, Danda yoga is formed. The houses involved are work (10th house), gains (11th house), expenditure (12th house) and self (lagna). Danda yoga makes the native unsuccessful, devoid of wealth, cruel hearted, rejected, spiritual inclinations.
5. Nauka Yoga (boat) – When all the planets occupy between 1st to 7th houses, Nauka yoga is produced. These houses belongs to invisible half of zodiac. The native will not get recognition for his work, successful in business dealings. famous, will have gains, greedy, ambitious, livelihood through water, fickle nature.
6. Koota Yoga – Here planets will be situated between 4th to 10th houses. The native with this yoga will be untruthful, crafty, cruel, not trustworthy, very active, goes behind material pursuits, ignorant of what is right and wrong.
7. Chhatra Yoga (crown) – Here planets will be placed between 7th and 1st hoses. The native with this yoga will be scholar, very helpful, extrovert, involved in public activity, kind, liberal, enjoy happiness and comforts, will neglect family members.
8. Chhapa or Dhanush Yoga (bow) – When majority of planets occupy between the houses 10 and 4th, Chhapa yoga is formed. Such natives are brave, liar, skilled in archery, wanderer.
9. Ardha Chandra Yoga (half Moon) – In this yoga, the seven planets will occupy seven continuous houses starting from a non-kendra house. There are 8 different non-kendra houses in which the series of planets can start. The person with this yoga is fortunate, commander of an army, charming looks, honoured by the government, possess gems and jewellery, brave.
10. Chakra Yoga (circle) – Here planets will be situated in six alternate houses starting from the lagna.That means they occupy in six odd houses. Here planets will be dispersed in the whole chart, thereby less conflicts among each other. So planets are capable of giving independent results. The Chakra yoga native will be like an emperor, in today’s context he will be head of business empire or government body, will have good looks, illustrious.
11. Samudra Yoga (ocean) – Here planets will be placed in six alternate houses starting from the 2nd house. The planets will occupy six even houses, so emotions will dominate the native. Here also planets are sitting independently, so there will not be conflicts among them. According to scriptures, the native will be wealthy, renowned, virtuous, endowed with pleasures, stable mindset, trustworthy.