Sankhya Yogas: The Number Game
Sankhya Yogas are formed from the seven planets namely Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn (Rahu and Ketu are excluded). There are seven types of Sankhya yogas. The yogas depend on the distribution of seven planets in horoscope.
Sankhya yogas are part of Nabhasa Yogas. Some of these yogas may coincide with other Nabhasa yogas. So when other Nabhasa yogas are simultaneously occurring with Sankhya yogas, then Nabhasa yogas take precedence over sankhya yogas.
Click the link to know more on Nabhasa Yogas
According to Phaladeepika,
सांख्ययोगा: सप्तसर्क्षेसंस्थैरेकापायाद्वल्लकीदामपाशाम् ।
केदाराख्य: शूलयोगो युगं च गोलश्चान्यान् पूर्वमुक्तान्विहाय ॥
वीणायोगे नृत्यगीतप्रियोऽर्थी दाम्रि त्यागी भूपतिश्चोपकारी ।
पाशभोगी सार्थसच्छीलबन्धु: केदाराख्ये श्रीकृषिक्षेत्रयुक्त: ॥
शूले हिंस्र: क्रोधशीलो दरिद्र: पाषण्डी स्याद् द्रव्यहीनो युगाख्ये ।
नि:स्व पापी म्लेच्छयुक्त: कुशिल्पी गोले जातश्चालसोऽल्पायुरेव ॥
1. Gola Yoga – When all the planets are situated only in one house, Gola yoga is formed. When all the planets are in one place, they affect one another. Since some of them are inimical to each other, they create lot of conflicts. When planets (energies) fight with each other, it will spoil native’s life. No planet will be able to give positive results. There will be chances of Graha yuddha (planetary war) between planets or combustion (planets near to Sun lose strength). Scriptures say the native with gola yoga will be sinful, illiterate, destitute, short lived, wicked, miserable, unskilled, defective in some limb, strong.
2. Yuga Yoga – If all the planets posited only in two houses, Yuga yoga will be formed. Here also energy is concentrated in two houses of the horoscope. Like Gola yoga, here also there will be lot of conflicts among planets. The person with this yoga will be heretical, poor, shameless, hypocrite, devoid of parents, socially rejected.
3. Shoola Yoga – All the planets are restricted to only three houses to form Shoola yoga. The person with this yoga at birth is wrathful, of violent disposition, lazy, socially rejected, a fighter, poor, ups and downs in life.
4. Kedara Yoga – Here all the seven planets will occupy in four houses in a chart. Compared to previous three yogas, here planets will be dispersed in a chart. So the conflict between the planets is very less. The native with this yoga at birth will acquire wealth and agriculture land, truthful, virtuous, charitable.
5. Pasa Yoga – In Pasha yoga, all the seven planets will be occupied in five different houses in a chart. The person with this yoga will enjoy life, follow moral values, intellectual, will have big family and will be attached to the family especially wife, obsessed with material pursuits, skilled in various work, crafty.
6. Daama Yoga – Sometimes it is referred to as Damini Yoga. Here all the planets will be occupied in six different houses. The person with Dama yoga will be generous, a king and benefactor, wealthy, liberal, compassionate, learned, earns through legitimate means, helpful to others.
7. Veena Yoga or Vallaki Yoga – When seven planets are distributed in seven different houses. Veena yoga is formed. This is the most auspicious yoga among Sankhya yogas. Here planets are dispersed so that they can work independently without much conflicts. The native will be wealthy, prosperous, fond of music, dance, singing or playing any musical instruments, wise, spiritual, blessed with knowledge and wisdom.