Avasthas of Planets
Avasthas of Planets
Avastha is the Sanskrit word which means status or condition. Planets move around in the zodiac over different constellations. The mood of the planet changes over different points in the zodiac while transiting.
The knowledge of the avasthas is very important in determining the strength of the planet to deliver the result. The results of the corresponding avasthas are more prominent in the periods of Dasa and Bhukti of the said planet. There are five different categories to assess the state of the planet which helps in prediction. They are:
1. Baladi Avasthas – Based on the position in terms of degrees in a sign
2. Jagratadi Avasthas – Based on the alertness of the planet
3. Deeptadi Avastha – Based on the position in a chart
4. Lajjitadi Avasthas – Based on the association with other planets
5. Sayanadi Avasthas – Based on the position over the constellation
These are based on the degree of the planets in a sign. Each sign will have 30 degrees. There are five avasthas in this category for every six degrees attained in a sign. The names have been chosen just like human progression. They are, Bal (infant), Kumar (youthful), Yuva (adolescent), Vriddha (old) and Mrit (dead). In odd signs these states are arranged in ascending order at the rate of 6 degrees. So if a planet is within 6 degrees in a sign, then it is said to be in infant state. From 6 to 12 degrees, it will be in youthful state and so on. In even signs these states are reversed at the rate of 6° as shown in the below table.
Odd Signs Avasthas Even Signs Result
0° to 6° Infant 24° to 30° 25% Result
6° to 12° Youthful 18° to 24° 50% Result
12° to 18° Adolescent 12° to 18° 100% Result
18° to 24° Old 6° to 12° Very less
24° to 30° Dead 0° to 6° Nil
Jagratadi avasthas are related to alertness of the planets. These states are based on the position of the planets in a rasi which depends upon the friendship and enmity between them. There are three different states under Jagratadi avasthas.
1. Jagrata (Awakening) Avastha – When a planet is in exaltation or in own house then it is said to be in Jagratavastha. Such planet will give full results. All the desires related to that planet will be fulfilled.
2. Swapna (Dreaming) Avastha – A planet is in friendly or in neutral sign. Planet in swapna avastha can give only 50-70% result. The native will gain the karakatwas of the planet with much effort or he will only get 60% for the effort.
3. Sushupti (Sleeping) Avastha – Planet will be in debilitation sign or in enemy house. The result from such planet will be ‘Nil’ or sometimes it will act negatively.
Deepthadi avasthas are related to attitude of the planets.These are based on the position of a planet in a chart. There are nine avasthas under this group. They are:
Deepta or Padeepta (blazing) Avastha – Planet in deep exaltation point or in exaltation house
Result – 100% good results from the planet can be expected. Accomplishment of objective, fame, gain in all kinds, blessed with wealth, fortune, happiness, victory over enemies etc.
Sukhita (Happy) Avastha – Planet in Moolatrikona house.
Result – 80% good. Planet in sukhita avastha will give happiness, wealth, possession of land and vehicles
Swastha (Healthy) Aastha – Planet is in own house
Result – 75% good. Result in sound health, gain from government, education, fame,
Mudita (delighted) Avastha – When planet is in friendly sign.
Result – 60% good. Such planet gives happiness from children, wealth, calm mind, interested in religious matters etc
Shanta (Calm) Avastha – It is also called as Ativeerya Avastha. When planet is in benefic vargas or in a temporary friend or in shubhakartari position.
Result – 50% good. Honour, Promotion, Prosperity
Shakta (capable) Avastha or Veeryavastha – If a planet is in neutral sign or retrograde or arohi planet.
Result – 40% good. Acquisition of vehicles, favours from friends
Peedita or Prapeedita Avastha – When planet lies between malefics (Paapa kartari), in avarohi state.
Result – Failures, separation from family, friends,, frequent changes, bad results
Deena or Dukhita Avastha – Planets posited in inimical houses
Result – Fear, pain, mystery, company of bad people
Vikala or Kupita Avastha – Planet in combust (astangata) or in planetary war or posited in 22nd drekkana.
Result – Enemies will take over, face obstacles, unclean
Bheeta or Atibheeta (Fear) Avastha – Planet in atichara or stambhana or occupying dustanas
Result – Depression, Sorrow, death like situation, fearful
Khala or Rikta Avastha – Planet occupying debilitation sign or deep debilitation point or in malefic vargas.
Result – Constant illness, miserable life, losses etc
Lajjitadi avasthas are based on the position of the planets associated with other planets. There are six different avasthas under this group.
Lajjita Avastha – If a planet is placed in a 5th house and in conjunction with Rahu, Ketu, Sun, Saturn or Mars.
Garvita Avastha – If a planet is in exaltation or Moolatrikona house then it is said to be in Garvitavastha.
Kshudhit Avastha – Planet will be in enemy rasi or conjunct with enemy, or aspected by an enemy, or if it is in conjunction with Saturn.
Trushit Avastha – Here planet will be posited in a watery sign and is aspected by a malefic planet without any aspect from a benefic.
Mudit Avastha – If a planet in a friendly sign or conjunct/aspected by a benefic planet or is in conjunction with Jupiter then it will be termed as in Muditavastha.
Kshobhit Avastha – Planet is in conjunction with Sun and is either aspected by or in conjunction with an inimical planet.
The result of bhava or house in which a planet is in Kshudhit or Kshobhit avastha are destroyed.
Sayanadi avasthas are based on the position of the planets on various nakshatras or constellations.
Method of finding avasthas under this group:
1. Note the number of the star occupied by a planet for which the avastha has to be calculated. If it is Aswini -1, Bharani – 2, Kritika – 3 and so on.
2. Multiply that number by the number denoted by the planet (1 for Sun, 2 for Moon, 3 for Mars, 4 for Mercury, 5 for Jupiter, 6 for Venus 7 for Saturn)
3. The resulting number should again be multiplied by the number of navamsas, where the planet is posited.
4. Add number of the birth star (nakshatra in which Moon is posited) to the above figure (1 for Aswini, 2 for Bharani etc)
5. Add number of ghatis of the birth
6. Add number of sign occupied by the lagna (1 for Aries 2 for Taurus 3 for Gemini etc)
7. The resulting number should be divided by 12. The remainder of the calculation will indicate the corresponding avastha of the planet.
If the remainder is 1 – Sayana – resting or lying down
2 – Upavesana – Fasting
3 – Netrapani – Tears
4 – Prakasana – Shining
5 – Gamana – Going or departure
6 – Aagamana – Arrival or appearance
7 – Sabha – Assembly
8 – Agama – To go or Appearance
9 – Bhojana – Eating
10 – Nrityalipsa – Dancing
11 – Kautuka – Curious
12 – Nidra – Sleeping
Further, the sub-state of the said avastha can be found out in the following way.
Multiply the above number denoted by the avastha (1 for Sayana 2 for Upavesana etc) by itself and increase it by the figure denoted by the Anka value for the first syllable of the native’s personal name. Divide this product by 12. The resulting remainder should be further increased by constant additives of the planet. The resulting product should be divided by 3. If the remainder is 1, it is called as Drishti, if it is 2 then Chesht and if 0 then it is Vichesht.
Anka Values – 1 for a, ka, cha, ḍa, dha, bha and va, 2 for i, kha, ja, ḍha, na, ma and sha, 3 for u, ga, jha, ta, pa, ya and śa, 4 for e, gha, ṭ a, tha, pha, ra and sa, 5 for o, ca, ṭha, da, ba, la and ha.
Constant Additives of planets: Sun – 5, Moon – 2, Mars – 2, Mercury – 3, Jupiter – 5, Venus – 3, Saturn – 3 and Rahu/ketu – 4