Top Ayurvedic Herbs for Stronger Hair
Maintaining healthy and stronger hair itself is a challenging task nowadays. Unnatural way of lifestyle is one of the reasons for weak hair. Stress and tension also play a big role in this.
Firstly we need to understand the reason for hair loss. A small proportion of hairs does fall everyday basis while combing or washing. But new hairs will be produced at the same rate. When the rate of fall exceeds the production. It results into baldness. To avoid this problem, Ayurveda recommends many methods which will help in regrowth of hair.
Causes of hair fall
Also Read: How to Get Healthy And Strong Hair Naturally
Ayurvedic herbs for hair growth
Indian Gooseberry / Amla / Nellikai
Indian Gooseberry contains antioxidant properties. It is rich in carotene content, Vitamin C and iron, which will strengthen the roots of the hair and enriches hair pigmentation. Amla oil also very effective for hair. Research has shown that it reduces the chances of hair loss and baldness. Also drink amla juice everyday for improving hair follicles internally.
How to use
– Take 10gm of amla paste, add 1 glass water and leave it overnight. Drain the water and apply on scalp and massage it. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash it with natural shampoo.
– Take 5 gm amla paste and mix it with 4 tbsp lemon juice and water. Apply this on your scalp and leave it for 30-40 minutes. Wash it with natural shampoo.
– Amla can be mixed with Shikakai powder or henna or brahmi powder. Leave the content overnight and apply on the scalp on the morning. You could also use amla oil on a regular basis.
Bhringaraj is an excellent herb for the growth of the hair. The Bhringraj leaves contain rich protein which are very helpful for the growth of the hair. You can make a paste using leaves or boil with coconut/sesame oil to make bhringraj oil. It also prevents graying.
How to use
– Take some leaves and make a paste of it. If the leaves are not available, the bhringaraj powder will be available in the market. Make it liquid and apply this to the scalp and leave it for 30-40 minutes. Wash it with a mild shampoo.
– Use bhringaraj oil on a regular basis. You can make this oil yourself at home. Heat some coconut oil or sesame oil in a pan. After about 2-3 minutes, add some bhringaraj leaves and heat for 5 minutes more in a low flame. Allow it to cool and it is ready to use. Regular usage of bhringaraj or oil improves blood circulation in the scalp and rejuvenates the hair follicle.
Methi or Fenugreek seeds
Methi is rich in minerals such as iron, potassium, calcium, zinc, which helps in promoting hair growth.It is an ancient herb used extensively in Ayurveda.
How to use
– Take some methi seeds and roast them in low flame. Now grind them well and make a fine paste. Apply this paste on your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
– You can also add this paste with coconut oil and heat the mixture. Allow it cool and then apply on hair.
In Ayurveda, neem is very popular medicinal herb used as a traditional remedy. It is said to possess antibacterial and anti ageing properties. It is home to more than 100 biologically active compounds. It helps in purifying blood and prevent damage caused by bacteria in the hair follicles and thereby strengthens the root of the hair.
How to use
Boil neem leaves in a water. After cooling down, wash your hair with this water. If leaves are not readily available, use neem oil which is available in stores.
Shikakai literally means fruit for hair. It has been used from ages, It enhances the softness of hair and makes hair thick and radiant. It is known to possess antioxidant properties and contains abundant Vitamin C and vitamin D. It is also a good remedy for dandruff.There are many shampoos available in the market which uses shikakai as the main ingredient. But they may add other chemicals to make it attractive. One can prepare shikakai shampoo at home also.
You can buy shikakai powder from the market. If you would like to prepare at home, it can be done very easily. Collect some shikakai fruits and dry them under the sun for 2-3 days. They have to become completely dry and crisp. Now grind them into a fine powder and store it. You can store this for a long time.
How to Use
– Take some powder in a bowl, add water and mix it well. Now use this as shampoo. You can also use it as a hair pack. Apply Shikkakai paste and leave it for 30-40 minutes and wash it well.
– You can make shikakai oil as well. Just mix required quantity of shikakai powder with coconut oil and leave it for few weeks. Make sure to stir the mixture every day, otherwise, the shikakai powder may get settled down.
Reetha or soap nut is a good medicinal herb which is excellent for hair growth. It contains anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties and it nourishes hair growth. It is very mild and can be used as a daily shampoo without any side effects. It removes dandruff and keeps the hair thick and clean. Reetha mainly contains saponin which creates a foamy lather when it is mixed with water.
How to Use
Dry the reetha fruits and remove the seeds. Now crush them and soak them overnight. Typically soak them for 8-9 hours. Now boil this liquid and let it cool. Now strain the liquid. You can use this as a shampoo. You can also add any oil to this and use it as an oil.
Ashwagandha or Indian Ginseng
Sometimes Ashwagandha is known as a magical herb. Ashwagandha is widely used in ayurvedic medicines. It contains antioxidant properties and reduces inflammation. It helps to reduce stress and anxiety and helps in good sleep. It also helps to regrow the lost hair.
It is advised to avoid taking Ashwagandha for pregnant woman and for the people who are on medication for depression, insomnia, diabetes.
How to Use
Mix Ashwagandha powder with warm water. Use it as a hair pack, leave it for 25-30 minutes and wash it off. You can mix ashwagandha with shikakai or amla as well.
Brahmi plays a big role in ayurveda. Consistent use of Brahmi will make the hair thick and strong. It gives nourishment to the hair follicle and prevents itchy scalp. Brahmi promotes the healthy healing process and cures all the defects in hair follicles.
How to Use
Brahmi can be used solely or can be mixed with ashwagandha, amla, tulsi or reetha. You can add curd to the mixture. Apply it as a hair pack and leave it for some time. Then wash it thoroughly.