Pushkara Navamsa and Pushkara Bhaga
Navamsha is the most important varga in Vedic astrology. The position of planets in navamsha chart determine the strength of the planets. So in vedic astrology, navamsa is simultaneously used with the main chart. Pushkara navamsa and Pushkara bhaga also based on the position of planets in navamsa chart. These concepts are not much talked about in astrological scriptures. So it is rarely used by modern astrologers. But it is very important to know these concepts in order to predict accurately.
Zodiac is a belt in the heavens within 8° either side of the ecliptic in a 360° circle. It is divided into 12 signs, where all the planets transit over it. These 12 signs are divided into 108 nakshatra quarters or navamsha. There will be positive and negative points in this zodiac. Some parts enhance the quality of the planets whereas some points diminish the quality. Pushkara is one such point, which nourishes the quality of the planet. There are about 24 navamsas or nakshatra quarters out of 108 navamsas which are considered as Pushkara navamsa.
Pushkara in Samskrit means blue lotus and lake. It also means ‘one who nourishes’. It is a special point in the navamsa chart which nourishes the planets in it. The strength of the planets in Pushkaramsa will get enhanced. The planets in it will act in a very auspicious manner. It is believed that the planets in pushkara navamsha behave as vargottama planets. Most of the times, pushkaramsa promotes spirituality and the planets in pushkaramsa will drive the native in this direction. When benefic planets are in pushkara navamsa then the intensity will be more.
Pushkara Navamsa Table
Some Features of Pushkara Navamsha
– Each rasi contains two pushkara navamsha
– Only benefic planets will rule the Pushkara navamsha (Venus, Jupiter, Moon and Mercury)
– Only for Fire signs, Pushkara navamsha falls in male signs, rest all belongs to female signs
– There are about 24 nakshatra quarters or padas out of 108 nakshatra quarters
– When planets transit through 3rd pada of Venus nakshatras (Bharani, PurvaPhalguni and Purvashadha), the Pushkara falls in Libra navamsa
– When planets transit through 1st pada of Sun nakshatras (Krittika, Uttara and Uttarashadha), the Pushkara falls in Sagittarius
– When planets transit through 4th pada of Sun nakshatras (Krittika, Uttara and Uttarashadha), the Pushkara falls in Pisces navamsa
– When planets pass through 2nd pada of Moon nakshatras (Rohini, Hasta and Shravana), the Pushkara falls in Taurus navamsa
– When planets transit through 4th pada of Rahu nakshatras (Ardra, Swati and Shatabhisha), the Pushkara falls in Pisces navamsa
– When planets pass through 2nd pada of Jupiter nakshatras (Punarvasu, Vishakha and Purvabhadra), the Pushkara falls in Taurus navamsha
– When planets pass through 4th pada of Jupiter nakshatras (Punarvasu, Vishakha and Purvabhadra), the Pushkara falls in Cancer navamsha
– When planets pass through 2nd pada of Saturn nakshatras (Pushya, Anuradha and Uttarabhadra), the Pushkara falls in Virgo navamsha
– Mars, Mercury and Ketu nakshatras do not have any Pushkara navamshas
Pushkara bhagas are specific degrees in each sign where the planets in these degrees will behave in auspicious way. In each of the 12 signs one degree is allocated to the Pushkara bhaga.
The following are the Pushkara bhagas:
For Fire signs (Aries, Leo and Sagittarius) – 21st degree is the Pushkara bhaga
For Earth signs (Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn) – 14th degree is the Pushkara bhaga
For Airy signs (Gemini, Libra and Aquarius) – 24th degree is the Pushkara bhaga
For Water signs (Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces) – 7th degree is the Pushkara bhaga
We can see that, these Pushkara bhagas fall within the range of Pushkara navamsa. So you can imagine how powerful a planet can be when it is posited in both Pushkara navamsha and Pushkara bhaga.
However, Jataka Parijata, Adhyaya 1 Shloka 58 states different degrees for Pushkara bhagas. These degrees may or may not fall in Pushkara navamsa. The degrees are:
Fire Signs – These falls in Venus nakshatras
21° Aries – Libra Navamsa
19° Leo – Virgo Navamsa
23° Sagittarius – Libra Navamsa
14° Taurus – Taurus navamsa
9° Virgo – Pisces navamsa
14° Capricorn – Taurus navamsa
18° Gemini – Pisces navamsa
24° Libra – Taurus navamsa
19° Aquarius – Pisces navamsa
Water signs – Falls in Saturn nakshatra
8° Cancer – Virgo navamsa
11° Scorpio – Libra navamsa
9° Pisces – Virgo navamsa
Pushkara navamsa concept can be used in natal prediction, muhurta and also in prana analysis.